Monday, September 1, 2014

Back to School


This past week we started school!  The kids had been begging (honestly, ask my husband) to start for almost 2 weeks, but I wasn't quite finished with my planning. Even now I don't feel totally set but felt it was time to get going and harness their excitement.

Honestly, they were excited to start! Mixed emotions over First Day photos however :)

We are using Learning Adventures again this year. Learning Adventures is a history based unit study curriculum geared for grades 4 through 8, but am adapting it slightly to include my 1st and 3rd graders. We didn't quite finish up the curriculum last year for many reasons so are now completing the final unit on The Age of Exploration and then will start on A New World of Adventure as soon as we can.  We've really enjoyed the curriculum with the wonderful living books we gather from the library, science experiments, art projects, writing exercises, and at the end of each unit, my kids' favorite: a themed party!  Looking forward to another year of learning with my kiddos!

Jana, while not officially schooling loves to tag along and be doing "school" right alongside the big kids.  She is my sweet little 3 yo who loves painting, puzzles, and all things princess

Tobiah- my energetic 1st grader.  He amazes me with his creativity and amount of energy! His reading improved amazingly this summer due to the Library's Summer Reading program


Rayna- my fiesty 3rd grader.  She loves math, reading, art and making lists!  She can ususlly be found in a quiet corner devouring a book or creating a new masterpiece.


Lydia is my athletic 4th grader.  She loves to read, draw, help with her "baby" brother, sew, and do anything active outdoors. 


Isaiah is my thinker.  He amazes me with some of the things he ponders and the problems he tries to solve.  He has a quick wit, an amazing memory, and is another fellow bibliophile!

I am looking forward to this year in many ways.  I am so blessed to be able to stay home and teach my children.  Even though I am supposed to be wearing the teacher hat, I am learning so much right alongside my children!


"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." -Deuteronomy 6:5-7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to check in on us! We love to hear how you are doing too! May God fill your heart with His joy today.